It’s not uncommon for USB ports to stop working after a Windows update. This problem often has quick remedies, as discussed in this article.
Also, note that you don’t need to attempt all remedies.
That said, this article should help fix your Acer Predator Helios 300 USB 3.0 port not working after Windows update.
Your USB 3.0 port could be malfunctioning due to the following reasons:
- Faulty SB device
- Low power supply
- Driver issues
- Power management settings
- USB selective suspend settings
Here are five remedies to help resolve your port problem:
Confirm If Your USB Device is Working
You might be surprised that the issue isn’t your Acer Predator Helios 300 or the new Windows update. The issue could be your USB device.
The device might have died or malfunctioned before, during, or after the update.
It could be a coincidence that you only noticed it after the Windows update. You can confirm your theories by testing your USB device on another laptop.
Eject it from your laptop and plug it into another laptop.
If the device doesn’t function, you’ll need a replacement. If it does, proceed to test another of the other four remedies.
Check The Power Supply
Are your USB 3.0 ports getting an adequate power supply? If not, the ports might malfunction, which could be why your Acer Predator Helios 300 USB 3.0 ports are not working after the Windows update.
The issue isn’t the update or a faulty USB device. You can confirm if it’s the power supply by doing the following:
- Unplug the charger
- Disconnect USB device
- Restart your laptop
- Connect the USB device
- Plug in the charger
That should fix it but proceed to the next remedy if there is no change.
Fix USB Driver Issues
Windows updates often remove or corrupt drivers; thus, affecting your USB 3.0 ports. Access the Device Manager to confirm whether the USB drivers are corrupted or removed. Scroll down to other devices and click on it. If its USB controller has a yellow mark next to it, your USB drivers are faulty.
You can fix faulty USB drivers by:
To use Windows update, ensure that the feature is enabled. Once enabled:
- Open Device Manager
- Scroll down to other devices
- Right-click on Universal Serial Bus Controller
- Click on update driver software
- Click on the search automatically option
- Once Windows finds new drivers, it will load it
Which brand are you using? Since you have an Acer Predator Helios 300, check the Acer website for USB drivers and manuals. You’ll need your laptop’s serial number, model number, or SNID.
Once all the downloads are complete, install the drivers and test if the USB 3.0 port is working.
Alternatively, you can use Driver Easy to download and install your drivers. It eliminates the hassle of finding the drivers and downloading them. Driver Easy auto-detects the system your laptop is running and finds compatible drivers.
Once it identifies compatible drivers, you can click update. It’ll download and install them. You can use the free version or the paid version.
Disable USB Power Management
You can disable USB power management by following these steps:
- Start Device Manager by using shortcuts keys ( Windows + X)
- Scroll to Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand
- Scroll down to the first USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) or USB Root Hub Device
- Double click and proceed to the Power Management Tab
- Uncheck the first option,” Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”
- Click OK
- Repeat for all USB 3.0
Disable USB Selective Suspend
Alternatively, you can access the Acer Predator Helios 300 power options to disable selective suspend. Follow these steps:
- Search “edit power plan” in your start menu
- Select the first option
- An edit plan settings window will open up
- Scroll down to change advanced power settings and click the link
- Scroll down to USB settings and expand
- Disable the USB selective suspend for both on battery power and when plugged in
That’s it! If your Acer Predator Helios 300 USB 3.0 port is still not working after these fixes, seek professional assistance at a repair shop.