Do I need a gaming PC to play Sims 4? The short answer is you don’t need a gaming PC to play Sims 4.
But, the PC has to meet certain requirements to be able to run Sims 4 smoothly. Here’s everything you need to know.
Can You Play Sims 4 On a Regular PC?
If the regular PC meets the system requirements for Sims 4. Then yes, you can play on a regular PC.
What Computer Do I Need To Play Sims 4?
You need a computer that meets the minimum or recommended system requirements for Sims 4. Here are the system requirements to know what computer is needed for Sims 4 below:
- OS: 64 Bit Required. Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
- CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
- RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
- DISC DRIVE: DVD ROM Drive required for installation only
- HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
- VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
- DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0,10 and 11 Compatible
- INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
- ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.
- OS: 64 Bit Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10
- PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
- VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
- MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
- HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space
Is the Sims 4 Better On PC Or Console?
Sims 4 is better on PC because of how easy it is to control your Sim. Plus, there is the case of mods or modding only available on PC.
Playing Sims 4 on the console requires you to get used to playing with a controller coming from a PC.
However, if you aren’t coming from a PC or have no experience or interest in mods. Then the experience on PC and console is the same.
What Do You Need to Run Sims 4 On A Laptop?
A laptop that meets the system requirements of Sims 4.
Fortunately, most laptops are quite powerful i.e., those that have dedicated graphic cards, decent CPU, and a minimum of 8GB RAM can handle Sims 4 easily.
Sims 4 PC Build
For those who have no experience in PC building. You can check out the best desktops for the Sims 4 guide. If you want to build your own Sims 4 PC. Then are guidelines on how to do so.
The faster the processor the better the gaming performance. High clock speeds and multi-core processors are recommended.
You should get the high-performance Intel Core i5, AMD Ryzen 5 or higher if you want the best performance.
Although you can run Sims 4 on AMD Ryzen 3 or Intel Core i3. They are not recommended unless you are a super-budget gamer and plan to only play Sims 4.
If you play other games, then those processors might not cut it unless the games are not AAA title or demanding.
An AMD NVIDIA RX 560 or GTX 1650 GPU is the lowest you should go. Just like with the processor, the better the graphics card the easier it is to run AAA title games on high resolution.
However, Sims 4 is not an AAA title game and will run well on these graphic cards.
A minimum of 8GB RAM is all you need for Sims 4. If you can get a higher amount then certainly do for optimum performance.
SSDs are highly recommended for not only gaming but everything else. SSDs boot up your PC, load games and applications faster than HDDs.
A minimum of 512GB SSD is the right amount for a Sims 4 PC build.
Displays serve as portals or windows to the game or computer. The better the display the clearer the window.
High refresh rates (75Hz or above) with 1080p/1440p resolutions are fantastic options for gaming. High refresh rates reduce ghosting, screen tearing, and stuttering. 1080p or above resolutions have better sharpness.