Write protection is a term used to define the ability of a hardware storage device that prevents modification or deletion from the said storage device.
This means the storage device is forced into a read-only mode by modifying the permissions. This is executed to prevent accidental deletion of files, and also virus attacks.
In this article, you would learn how to disable the write protection on dell windows 10 USB recovery sticks.
Why Has My USB Stick Become Write-Protected?
There are few reasons why your USB stick becomes write-protected.
- Corrupted USB stick
How To Remove Write Protection From USB
In this article, we bring 3 fixes for any write-protected storage device.
Method 1: Remove Write-Protection With Command Prompt
- Open start menu and type cmd, and run as administrator
- Type the following command lines and hit enter after every command
select disk X (Replace "X" with the number of your write-protected hard drive.)
attributes disk clear read-only
Method 2: Hardware Button
Some USB sticks have a hardware switch that can be pressed, or toggled so that the device appears write-protected.
Have a look at your USB device to be sure there are no hardware switches that could force a read-only mode, and turn it off.
Method 3: Registry Editor
- Punch Win key + R
- Type Regedit in the search box and hit enter
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
- In StorageDevicePolicies, double click on WriteProtect.
- Change the Value Data from 1 to 0 and click ok to save.
- Quit Regedit and restart your PC.
- Reconnect your USB storage.
You Might Also Like